Sunday, February 22, 2015

California Dreamin'

My very favorite poster of all times
I wish I were in California right now. Three years ago I got restless about this time of year and I just needed to get out of town. My friend Sheri helped me pick where to go. That turned out to be Laguna Beach, California.


The beach at Laguna Beach

I had a lovely time. One of the best things about the trip was that I was there on Oscar night. I started out in a restaurant and ended up in my hotel room, but I was in a town that really took the Oscars to heart. There were oscar parties where people really did dress up in the modern version of Downton Abbey dressing for dinner clothes. I wasn't invited to any of those parties, and I didn't try to crash any, even though there was one at the restaurant for my hotel. But somehow I just felt part of the scene. The next day I went to see the best picture at a sweet old fashioned local theater because I had not yet seen it.
The beach at Santa Cruz

So the next year I did it again, this time at Santa Cruz farther north. This was on the edge of Silicon Valley, not La La Land, so there were no big parties that were easy to see, but still. I watched about half the show in the hotel bar. I dressed up, in my way, for the occasion. I had a good time.

Two years now my schedule has not allowed to to take off for a long weekend for Oscar night. This year especially, what with my having to work for 12 hours every Saturday, is impossible.

I maybe could go someplace over spring break, but this year I need to save my money for a big expensive trip to Washington DC in June for the 60th anniversary of the American College of Nurse Midwives. I'll probably just stay home and put in as many hours as I can gardening early at Red Butte. Not that this is bad in any way except that it is ordinary. I do that all the time.

I guess I'l just watch Chanel 4 at home tonight. I haven't seen most of the films (as usual!) so it won't matter all that much who wins or doesn't. But maybe....

Next year in California.

YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment