My apartment building was bought by a new company this spring. At first nothing happened. Now, I have been informed, big things are changing. The company is renovating the whole place including all the apartments. We are going to have a series of choices. All of them involve paying more money and some of them involve the trouble of moving.
I have to get them all outlined for me on paper in order to get the facts in order, but I think I have options like this:
- Call it quits and just move someplace else. Already a lot of my neighbors have taken this option.
- Stay where I am and get no renovations at all until I move out, but pay higher rent anyway
- Move permanently into a newly renovated place and pay even higher rent
- Move temporarily into a newly renovated place while my place is being re-done and then
- Move back to my old place, now improved, or stay in the other place because I like it better
I asked if there was also a half way option. I have painted my place and installed my own window treatments and light fixtures. I would just as soon keep those, but I wouldn't mind having a new kitchen. So I wondered if I could have a partial renovation while I would be away next summer. The manager said that maybe we could make that work.
I did a quick internet search for large properties closer to downtown than I am now. There are several options of places that would be very nice .... brand new even .... but all of them would be more expensive than what I have at the moment. However, most, I think would be the equivalent of the new highest rent here.
I don't have to move anytime soon. I can take time to think this out, get options, weigh one against another.
But this is just when I was trying to save some extra money for the nest few years. That probably isn't going to be easy.
Today I am shocked and confused. I don't know what I want except NOT to have to make major changes. Well, that ain't gonna happen.
Will I love it? Or List it?